Monday 28 August 2017

Keep Fighting - The POMC Series

Hey again,

Hope everybody is well, this next post will be a short one as I'm lacking in energy today but definitely have a couple of posts coming up that you should find interesting.
I wasn't going to post today as me and the family went out for the day but I've decided that if qany day is a good day to demonstrate the reality of how POMC can affect people it's today.
Beautiful Whitby Town - North Yorkshire

Today was a really bad day, to be honest. I woke up feeling pretty good, well rested and such and I knew me and the family were heading off to Whitby for the day, one of my most adored places I've ever been to, and I was visibly excited. After a cup of tea I went to get s cold shower because I could feel myself beginning to overheat, despite windy and pretty cloudy weather, my body temperature kept going up and I was just sweating more and more so I took 5 minutes, tried to keep myself hydrated as much as possible and got myself dressed quite quickly. 
Me and Simon got into the car and went to Subway for our lunches, we decided to go there as I'm not keen on just grabbing whatever I can wherever I can, I've learned that food is best planned well in advance so I know what I'm putting into my body compared to the energy I'll be using up, I just feel it's the most sensible decision for me. Other people are different though. Anyway as I was driving I honestly felt like my body was slowly turning to lead, as if I weighed twice what I do now but I pushed it to the back of my mind and hoped I was going to get a good day out of today. 

Nanna and Granda, who we went with, eventually got home and I packed a bag with inhalers, water, phones and everything else we would need and headed off. While I was in the car I could feel my legs turning numb, my granddad's car is very low to the ground compared to mine and I find it extremely difficult to get out of, the seat belts also don't fit around me without an extender so it's not the best car to travel in. Anyway  like I mentioned I felt the numbness creep up my legs and a dull ache hit my lower back which was there all the way to Whitby, along with the overheating feeling which was exacerbated with the weather turning sunny and hotter the closer we got to the coast. By the time we got to Whitby there were no parking spaces so me and Simon tried to get out to walk on ahead; I don't think I managed getting 12 metres before I was sweating in pain with my back and my knees started to ache. I've always been self-conscious of looking like the stereotypes version of an obese person, someone who is so large they cannot walk properly, mainly because when I've tried to explain that I'm not simply over-eating the wrong things without exercising and have a genuine medical condition I am met with looks of disbelief and dubious scrutiny. At this point I walked a little further and had to stop where my anxiety got the best of me as I was convinced everyone was looking at me. I broke down and cried on Simon, insisting I go home and we go for a walk privately around our local area later today when I feel better. So, not only did I not get the day at Whitby we all wanted but I feel I've held back my family and boyfriend, something I'm not unused to feeling. 

Somehow though me and Simon are still determined to do that walk, determined that pain won't stop me from cooking family dinner later and it will not stop me being a happy person overall. The point of this post was not to complain or whine or make people feel sorry for those of us with such problems, it was to remind parents of children with POMC or any genetic obesity disease and those directly dealing with POMC/genetic obesity themselves that no matter how hard the days might seem, how much you want to give up fighting or feel hopeless always remember that the condition you have is there to be fought and we are all warriors in this battle, nobody is alone with a strong support network around them of family, friends, partners and even medical professionals who help you cope. You are a strong person with better things to do and live for, than to give in to anything at all! Even if is is easier said than done at times, please keep fighting! 

Thanks for reading. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment