Sunday 10 September 2017

Life Update and Worries - The POMC Series

Morning all!

Well, it's been an eventful few days and a very busy week! This post is going to be a quick update and a talk about a few worries I have at the moment. Me and Simon got back from York on Friday night and went to see out best friends Annie and Aidan before we went home,it was lovely to see them after a few days and catching up is always fab, Aidan and Simon are like a couple of kids laughing away at youtube videos they've been wanting to show each other over the last week; honestly, I love seeing Simon and my friends get on, makes me extra happy. 
Anyway, last time I posted an update I said I would be taking part in an interview with Sophie Dishman of University of Sunderland which I did Monday passed and honestly she was absolutely fantastic, such a professional and so kind, I'll be posting a link to the interview and talking a little more about that when I post later next week so please keep an eye out. After that myself and Simon, Annie and Aidan all went to Sunderland and Darlington to grab lunch and just relax together for a while, nothing special just a chilled out relaxed day. 
Flowers Simon bought me <3

On Wednesday me and Simon got to head down to York after a doctors appointment and it was SO hectic trying to get everything together it was really mad! We ended up forgetting our inhalers, both myself and Simon are Asthmatic so it was a bad move there but I just prayed that nothing would happen, however that's not our luck really... Anywho, we stayed in a B&B called The Willows near York and just passed Harrogate and oh my it was so lovely! The proprietor was so kind and welcoming and totally understanding about my dietary needs, he was accommodating and an all-round great man, the room we stayed in was lovely, very private and comfortable with beautiful views to his fishing pond. 
On the first night we decided we would get tea somewhere and decided on a Chinese restaurant called Sweet Basil, the staff were lovely but (and here comes the usual unexpected medical problem) Simon ordered chicken chow mien which didn't include any information on what it contained just how much the dish would be so Simon thought he would be fine, he is severely allergic to nuts and somehow there must have been traces of nuts in the food as he swelled up like a balloon and couldn't breathe so we had to get him to York hospital really quickly, he was given a strong inhaler and steroids and was thankfully alright after a few hours. Still I was out of my mind panicking... no epipen no inhaler, no idea how to get to the hospital and my husband-to-be haven an allergic reaction in the passenger seat! God that was scary. 
Lunch and cocktails!



After the ordeal of the night before we decided would go into York and headed straight for The Shambles and The Shop That Must Not Be Named, a Harry Potter themed shop full of awesome stuff, I managed to get friends and family some gifts like notebooks, fudge, decorative lights, drink flasks and stuff so everyone was catered for thankfully. We headed into other shops and had a general look around which was lovely to be in an area other than Durham or Newcastle; we started to get hungry after a few hours of shopping, albeit it took me around 3 hours to walk round the shambles as I needed frequent breaks. Simon found a restaurant called divine which looked as though it had food that both of us could eat which i was grateful for considering I'm not sure Chinese was the best idea for the night before. We got pasta and risotto which was very nice and filling and Simon bought us a few cocktails to be going on with. It's important to note that earlier in the week I had been discussing the possibility of getting on to a Setmelanotide trial for a drug that aims to treat those with genetic obesity diseases, up until this point I had not been eligible and was waiting for more information via phone call that day from my main Doctor in Cambridge. So, obviously I was quite stressed and the few cocktails I had definitely helped, and they were yummy. 
Stunning Cathederal

Anyway I was meant to get the call from Dr Farooqi at 12:30 but she had been called into a meeting and I didn't receive it until 4pm, the same time we were due to be going to an escape room. I found out from my doctor that drug companies are refusing the trial for those with one genetic fault as it is deemed more helpful for those with 2 genetic defaults, however she did discuss with me the possibility of another "treatment" called Liraglutide, a regular injection into the fatty part of the stomach or thigh. Only issue is this drug causes Thyroid cancer in animals, pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis and a whole host of other problems in people... so now I'm panicking and hopping to get more information out of my RVI doctors as soon as possible, I want a treatment and my doctor says I need one as soon as possible but at what cost? Is getting an immediate treatment worth possibly risking my life? I have no idea but I'm scared and confused at the moment and will be writing another post about Liraglutide as soon as i know more info. 
After the call we ended up in Gr8 Escape York and it was amazing!!! We had lots of clues to figure out and had to escape to room to get our spy school diploma, unfortunately we are both bad at maths and the people monitoring us actually gave us the answers to a few clues haha! Still, we failed but honestly, it's the best experience ever!! I loved it as did Simon and can't wait to take out friends there! 

The next day was home time but we thought we would go into York city centre again and do a few things we never got to, we managed to get into a few shops which we never had the day before, Travelling Man where I bought a book called 'My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness" (awesome book by the way!), a Model shop so Simon could get some trains and things, and we went into the York dungeons which was hilarious, scary and utterly fascinating all in one! Overall it was a fab trip and we have made some wonderful memories,  got a lot of things to think about and will definitely be returning. 

Other than our trip to York I have become involved with the Sunderland University SU Buddies Scheme and and extremely excited about that, I go back the week of the 25th and my amazing best friend has been accepted into uni for her dream course which I'm so proud and excited for. I really can't wait for university to start but in the meantime I'mm be blogging more, reading up on course material, chilling and just doing me! 

I hope you all have had some amazing days this week as well! Thank you for reading and keep sharing ladies and gents! 
xo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment