Monday 12 January 2015

The Book Tag! A.K.A The Ultimate Book Tag!

Hi All!
I found this tag on books with bite and because, as many of you already know, I am a MASSIVE bookworm I jumped at the chance to have a go at this myself, I've always loved books and I adore blogging about books so I hope reading this post will be as fun for you as writing it was for me! 

Do you get sick while reading in the car?
No not at all, in fact if I'm not driving and I have even a short journey I will definitely take a book and read it for as long as I possibly can. That's one of the worst things about being able to drive yourself, you don't get the pleasure of reading in a car any more. 

Which Authors writing styles completely unique to you and why?
Regardless of the fact that I adore the series I do have to say Derek Landy, there is something about his writing that can build up tension exactly when it's needed, he can make me cry and laugh out loud no matter how many times I've read his books. I've literally been in public and laughed out loud at the sarcastic witticism his characters come out with. Plus his characters are utterly loveable, even the villains have something appealing about them. 

Harry Potter series or Twilight Saga? Give three Points to support your answer!
Harry Potter series... Always. 
1) J.K. Rowling is really detailed with her descriptions so I can see everything really clearly in my mind's eye.
2) Peeves! 
3) Snape and Lilly, need I say more?

Do you carry a book bag, if so what's in it? Excluding books
Currently my book bag is a cream canvas book bag that says 'I bloody love books' which is so true! It currently has in it the books I'm reading, those being Skulduggery Pleasant Kingdom of the Wicked, my headphones and iPod, some feminine necessities, my inhaler and my purse. That's about it, I only take what I absolutely need in my bags.

Do you smell your books?
Of course! One of my favourite smells in the world is a book, old or new the smell is just so comforting and homely and I love it. That and Prada candy perfume are my two favourite smells. 

Books with or without little illustrations?
I can read books with or without little illustrations but I tend to think if they do have little illustrations that they give the book a bit more character. I like the illustrations and revel in them when I find a book that has them in. 

What book did you love while reading but later discovered it wasn't quality writing?
For me it had to be Fifty Shades of Grey, I read all three books within 5 days and honestly whilst I was reading them I thought "wow yeah! That's some quality writing, the plot is great!"... That was when the first books came out, since then I've read many other books such as The Fault in Our Stars (John Green), The Mall (S.L. Grey and Letter To My Daughter (Maya Angelou) and I've realised how wrong I was, the writing is shoddy, tacky and the whole plot seems like a bored housewife's boring daydream. Sometimes I think I could have written a better book with more passion and fire that that and as I've mentioned before I'm not a good writer. 

Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood?
I don't have any funny stories from my childhood although about 6 months ago I went into Waterstones in Durham city and bought a few books including a couple of Stephen King books and John Green books and a cute guy commented on my good purchases and I ended up attempting to flirt outrageously with him until I dropped all my books on my toe and swore rather loudly, thankfully he flashed me a gorgeous grin and helped pick up the books he was only a couple years older than me but I swear my heart skipped a beat once I'd gotten over the initial mortification. 

What is the thinnest book on your shelf?
The thinnest book on my chef by far is Maya Angelou's Letters To My Daughter, this book is absolutely wonderful and warms my heart every time I read it. 

What is the thickest book on your shelf?
The thickest book on my shelf is probably The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I only read these books in 2014 and I've never gotten into book so quickly as I got into those, Doyle was a fab writer with an eye for deduction and logic. 

Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself as being an author in the future?
I would LOVE to be a writer but I'm honestly not very good at it, I'm quite good at writing short stories and I do that occasionally but I'm much more of a reader than a writer, there's nothing better than getting lost in a good book. 

When did you get into reading?
When I was round about 3 I started to read fluently, I remember when I was at nursery I hated reading because I got so upset that everyone else was reading but I felt like I was getting nowhere so I came home one day and just cried to my grandma because I couldn't read and I really wanted to. I was such a cute child. Who am I kidding, I'm still cute. :)

What is your favourite classic book?
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is one of my absolute favourites without a doubt! I first read this in year 10 and usually when I'm told to read a book, like for a book report or something, I struggle to get into it as I like to find my own books to read but this book just grabbed me right away. I have no idea why as it was't particularly fast paced or action packed but it's a very good book that I'd recommend to anyone. 

In school was your best subject English?
English wasn't actually, I hated English language but that's all we id up until year 10 when we finally started English literature which obviously I loved! We were made to read To Kill a Mockingbird, Frankenstein, The Strange Case of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde and another book I can't remember, it was a really good lesson. 

If you were given a book as a gift that you'd read and hated what would you do?
Personally I always believe that if I'm given a book I don't like there will always be someone out there who will appreciate it or enjoy it therefore I will give them to whomever I think the book suits. 

What's a lesser known series that you know of that's similar to Harry Potter/Hunger Games?
The only series I can think of is the Percy Jackson series! I adore those and I've even gotten my mother into reading them to ha! I love anything like Harry Potter although I have to admit I simply can't get into the Hunger Games, maybe I'll try again later this year.

Are you a nerd, dork or dweeb?
All of the above... or so I've been called numerous times. I like to think of myself as a nerd. 

What's your favourite word?
Scintillating. I love that word and I have no idea why, it's just fun to say and fun to read. I will provide you with scintillating conversation... most times anyway.

Vampires or fairies? Why?
As a main character I like vampires, mainly because I find they're more versatile characters to work with and read about but in general I like fairies... because they're cute.

Shapeshifters or angles? Why?
I think shapeshifters are really cool and in a book my attention is immediately grabbed by a shapeshifter, one example of that is the aminagi in the Harry Potter books. Not sure if I've spelled that correctly but whatever. 

Spirits or werewolves? Why?
Werewolves definitely. I've always been intrigued by werewolves, they're pretty damn cool.

Zombies or vampires?
I like zombies, I love zombie books and I'll always go for a zombie movie or book if I'm looking for a scare, mainly because I have a terrible and irrational fear of zombies...

Love triangle or forbidden love?
Never forbidden love for me, usually with forbidden love I find that the books are very brooding or sullen and I can't stand reading books like that, I'm not keen on love triangles but as long as there is a happy ending or there is romance of some sort in a book, even if that love never comes to fruition, that's a good romance story for me. 

Full on romance books or action packed with a few love scenes mixed in?
Personally I like a mix, if a book has too much romance going on it can take away from the initial plot line itself but if a writer is leaving their readers hanging when they want to see some romance going on their readers can get frustrated with too much action. I think you've got to find a book with the right balance and it's important to note that just because there isn't romance in a book doesn't mean it can't be jam packed with love.
A few books I got for Christmas













Love Katherine. X

No comments:

Post a Comment